Sunday, October 25, 2009

Back together..

Today was a beautiful day. So much so that I didn't know what to do with it. I spoke with my Wife and she said she'd be OK with me bringing it into the basement as long as I got rid of a few magazines and catalogs. The negotiations went well! Unfortunately I didn't feel like I could bring it down without causing serious damage to the bike or the stairway. So I just stared at it sitting uncovered back in it's parking spot. I decided I would start by putting a few parts back on it and see how far I got. It went well enough to hear the starter motor crank over a few times.

Spark Plugs
Carburetor
Air Cleaner assembly
Battery
OIL change

I started by putting the air cleaner back into it's spot and attatching the tube that connects it to the Carb. I had a problemn getting the carb back together and on. That spring is a real bugger. After that I connected the Carb I then connected the Air Cleaner with the Rubber Tube between the two. The Carb looks pretty decent! I put in the new plugs. I went to change the oil but the drain bold was rounded off. I had to bang on a wrench to be able to get it off. I then used my Impact Screwdriver successfully for the first time. (A thing of beauty). A little less than a quart of oil and it's good for now. The battery went in with little stress. I goofed around with the key and nothing... I continued to play with it and the starter kicked over a few times. Somewhat encouraging but it still needs work. The 5 way key switch is Brilliant and Insane at the same time. I'm glad that I left the battery disconnected when done. I checked the diagram I posted earlier and figured out that if I had left it connected I would have damaged the battery and possibly the electronics.

I was thinking about putting the tank on and working with some gas. But I had been cautioned to make sure the replacement fuel line was actually up to the task of carrying fuel. I checked later and it was all up to snuff.

The neatest thing that I remember was how nice the brass fuel bowl drain nipple looked. Shiny, Brassy and it looked like new. The rubber hose went out smoothly with a little saliva.

My next plans are to test and connect the tank, put on the seat, charge up the battery, clean the connections, and Test it out.

I guess it's time to get my insurance up to snuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment